Monday, 1 May 2017

Reflections on Painting practice

I've realised what I've done wrong - I wasn't using an airbrush!

Oh wait people need context. Ok so, looking back on some of my recent attempts at painting Witch Aelves I realize something basic and yet profound.

Female skin is much smoother than male skin.

I've painted Chaos Marauders, Kairic Acolytes, Khorne Blood Reavers etc etc and never had any issues with skin. But my favorite models are the Witch Elfs and they are my least good paint job so far. Part of the reason for this is that muscular male flesh basically paints itself. Prime with white, wash with fleshtones, wash again with an orange. Highlight. Edge Highlight. And then you're done.

The problem with female flesh is that the Highlighting must all be freehand. The blends must all be graduated. Mistakes are more obvious and the edges less forgiving.



The solution - airbrush and a hell of a lot of acrylic medium to glaze the models. I already own an airbrush so it'll give me a  great reason to get it into action. I have a box of Witch Aelves yet to be assembled, 5 Already primed as well as a Bloodwrack Medusa and a Cauldron of Blood, all to try these techniques out on so let's see what we can do.